KANDEP JUDICIAL RECOUNT UNDERWAY: SINAI
PNG Electoral Commission is planning to transport Kandep ballot boxes out of Wabag Police Station this week to Kundiawa for the judicial recount next week.
Acting Commissioner Simon Sinai gave this assurance this evening via a Whatsapp message when PNG Sun queried.
Mr Sinai was responding to petitioner and former Kandep MP Don Pomb Polye.
In that, Polye vented his frustration over the delay by PNGEC in complying with the Supreme Court order which is effective. Read more: https://www.thenational.com.pg/prolonged-process-annoys-polye/
Commissioner Sinai said they received K5 million from the Departments of Finance and Treasury just last week.
He said of this funding, they already allocated K2 million to police for security and safety operations.
Polye has raised concerns on unnecessary delays by the acting Commissioner in executing the Supreme Court Order. The three-men bench ordered for the Kandep judicial recount.
He accused Mr Sinai for failing to comply with the order immediately when the funding is available.
The pending decision on a leave application by incumbent Alfred Manase should not stop the PNGEC from recounting, he said.
Thus, Polye called on him to transport the ballot boxes immediately this week.
The Kandep Election Petition case has dragged on in Courts for close to 4 years.
There are 23 more days before the extended Court Order lapses on February 26, 2021.
PNGEC has already appointed the returning officer and other officials, and selected the venue.
Additionally, Polye said he was considering contempt of Court proceeding against the Commissioner.
Further, he warned that such negligence has potential to ignite unrest.
“PNGeans has had enough of loss of lives and destruction of properties. Electoral fraud sparked off these events in 2017 General Elections,” he said.
PNGEC will present the outcome of the much-anticipated judicial recount to the court for its deliberations.
Related reading: https://pngsun.com/tag/don-polye-and-peter-oneill/
Leave a Comment