INTERIM NATIONAL COURT ORDER STOPS MORATA EVICTION
The National Court has granted interim orders stopping the planned eviction of Morata settlers on portion 2733.
Lawyers, engaged by NCD Governor Hon. Powes Parkop, have swiftly secured the court order in light the looming eviction by an Engan and his Chinese business partner.
Governor Parkop, a former human rights lawyer before entering politics, said the interim orders should give the settlers comfort to some extend.
Clarifying his government’s stance, he reiterated that persons claiming title to land and their investment partners should provide alternative solutions to affected families who are made homeless due to eviction.
He called on title holders and their investors partners to have dialogues with him on how this humanitarian crisis can be addressed or avoided or eased.
“Our people cannot be left homeless for corporate greed or just for benefit of one title holder. Lands Department and National Land Board should ensure too that they don’t award title to individuals over land which already have thousands of people in occupation” said a concerned Governor Parkop.
Governor Parkop has also directed the Physical Planning Division and Regulatory Department of NCDC to be more proactive in stopping illegal occupation and settlement of both State and Customary land in the City.
He made the call yesterday during the first Physical Planning Board Meeting for NCD for 2022.
“Many of these issues could have been avoided had NCDC and National Departments of Lands cooperated to prevent or stop all illegal occupation and settlements of State and customary land in the City,” he said.
Justice Ere Kariko ordered that;
1. The matter is adjourned to 02 Feb 2022 for hearing of the Plaintiff’s Notice of Motion (NOM) filed on 10/04/21 and the First Defendant’s NOM filed on 02/07/21;
2. Parties shall file and serve any further affidavits for the hearing by Monday 31/01/22;
3. Parties should settle and hand up to the Court on the return date a chronology of all related litigation in all Courts in relation to the dispute in this proceeding;
4. The hearing of the motions shall not be further adjourned except for good reasons;
5. Until the return date, the first defendant, its servants and agents including members of the police force are restrained from entering into the subject land and carry out steps to evict the residents on the land formerly known as Portion 2733 Morata, NCD; and,
5. Time is abridged.